Sunday, February 8, 2009

what's in a name?


Ahhhh I am feeling a tad bit guilty about something & I have to get it off my chest. You see, this weekend at the retreat there was some sharing of what names mean & how they are important. We also spent some time discussing Ruth, remember her from the old testament? She's Naomi's loyal daughter-in-law, the one who followed her all the way back to Bethlehem even though Naomi was whining & moaning about having "nothing" & how bitter she was (so what was Ruth anyways, chopped liver???? but I digress) Ruth is the one we often quote at our weddings... you know, "whereever you go, I will go..... your people will be my people, your God will be my God"? & what does Ruth mean? Confidant! Loyal friend. So, what does this have to do with me???

Well here's the thing. My name, the one my parents gave me at birth, is Ellyn Ruth. Ellyn (light) Ruth (loyal friend). The Ruth is in honor of my Aunt Ruth, a wonderful woman who has an adventurous spirit (That's her in the picture above, ziplining in Thailand!) & a big heart. So what did I do when I got married? I ditched the "Ruth"!! That's right. I just up & dumped my middle name. & now I'm feeling very guilty. Like perhaps I should take it back! Can you do that? I imagine it would be quite a hassle with the social security office, the credit reporters, all of that. sigh....

So, I don't think I'll go through the formal process of taking back my Ruth... but I will no longer leave it out when someone asks for my full name. Because I like it. & I hope I can live up to it & always be a Loyal Friend.

Thanks for letting me pour my heart out! Oh & while we're at it, Thanks Tracey for nudging me to get back to writing more. You're right, it needs to happen! Are you sorry now?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm not sorry at all. I'll just keep right on encouraging you pal!! I never knew you dropped the Ruth. You have always been Ellyn Ruth to me!! Hugs, Trace