Tuesday, April 3, 2012

sidetracked...

I don't know about you, but I keep a running list of projects I want/need to work on next. This year, so far, I've been really good about checking things off of my to-do list. But then, every now and then, an idea sneaks into my brain and I have to do it right away. Like yesterday. I flopped down on the couch in the afternoon to watch Nate (one of my guilty pleasures!) and I started thinking about those shadow quilts that I was so enamored with at the Dallas Quilt Show.  And I thought to myself "Ellyn, you really don't need to start another big quilt" And I knew I was right... but still.... I wanted to try it! And then I remembered that they had given us free little bundles of 2 1/2 inch squares at the Moda Bakeshop booth. I could make a mini version! So I ran back to my sewing room (don't worry, I have a tv in there, I still got to watch Nate!) And this is the quilt top that I finished up....

 Fun! It wasn't on my list, but so what? It was fun to make and I'm happy with it.

Today I started working on my next set of swap blocks. This time we are doing 9 1/2 inch lime green and gray blocks. I got 12 blocks done today (2 of each) and I must say, I think I'm going to love this quilt when it's done!
We had some crazy weather in Dallas today. Lots of nasty storms and several tornadoes touched down in the area. We are fine here.... Ally was stuck in lockdown at the high school for a long time this afternoon and I spent most of the afternoon sitting in the hallway with the dog.... but we are all fine and so is our house. My prayers go out to those who lost their homes and belongings. Miraculously, they are saying there were no fatalities and I am so grateful for that.

Let's hope the rest of our spring is much calmer, weather wise!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Making something just because you want too not because it's on a list is good for you! Keeps the sewing mojo going. I do LOVE the green and grey together..

Maria said...

Oh no that would be scary sitting in the hall with the dog while a torando is passing and Ally in lock down. Pleased you are all ok...
Your little quilt is lovely. Great idea.
WOW even though you used the same pattern for the Lime and Grey blocks they look so different.
Hugz
Maria

Maria said...

Oh Ellyn we saw on the news the tornado that you had. Boy you sure were lucky to be unharmed.
You have been sewing up a storm with your blocks. Perhaps Ally would like a quilt out of them
Hugz
Maria

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

First. I'm glad you are all okay. Next, love the shadow mini and your swap blocks!

Melissa said...

That shadow quilt is fabulous!

I spent all night Sunday & most of Monday at the hospital with my parents - Daddy broke his arm Sunday evening. I was finally catching up on my rest when we had all that weather hit Tuesday afternoon, so I've felt a little behind all week until today. I hope y'all have a Happy Easter & you have a great trip - let's get together when you get back, ok!