Thursday, May 3, 2012

London bags

On Monday, at The Quilt Asylum, I was happily wandering around with a few fat quarters, content to look and not buy a lot (for once!) when Joellen pointed out the awesome London fabric by Makower UK for Andover. Love! So of course I bought some (1/2 yards of 5 different prints) and a bag pattern by Pink Sand Beach designs (the Tahiti bag. I love their patterns, such attention to detail, easy to follow). 
 There was another lady looking at the London fabric too. We started to chat & I knew immediately that she was British. She actually grew up in London! When I told her we are going this summer she told me all kinds of things to see & do. Awesome!

I whipped this bag up yesterday. Actually it took me several hours. There are lots of lovely details, 2 zippers, lots of pockets. I didn't skimp on interfacings either.... used fusible fleece, peltex and sturdy fusible that the pattern called for. I'm so glad I did! This bag is amazing!
 Then, about a half hour after I finished my bag, I was browsing different blogs & I saw this tutorial at Sew Happy Geek. Well yes, of course I need a coordinating wristlet to put inside my London tote for the trip!
I followed Jenna's tutorial pretty closely, using her measurements & step by step directions which were very clear and easy to follow. The changes I made: I put little fabric tabs at both ends of my zipper, just like on the tote bag. It's just a nice little finishing touch. I also boxed the bottom corners of the wristlet.

Now I can't wait to pack these bags up & hop on a plane to London! My countdown chain is getting shorter day by day....

5 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Wonderful!! What a great bag to use on your trip to London!

SewHappyGeek said...

You are going to get Londoners BEGGING you to sell them that bag - it is MAGNIFICENT!!! I'm putting this on the fb group too!

Maria said...

That bag is amazing Ellyn. What fabulous fabrics too. Love, love love it......

FeltByRae said...

Your bag is perfectly stunning - I love it, I love the wristlet too, you are very talented

Laura Maxell said...

cute fabric on these bags...