Tuesday, July 21, 2015

schoolhouse tunic - with pockets!

Recently I got it in my head that the Schoolhouse Tunic should have pockets! I mean, really, everything should have pockets, don't you think? While teaching a Washi Dress class at Stitched with Love I thought, hmmm, I wonder if those Washi pockets would work on a Schoolhouse Tunic? Bought me some Parson Gray fabric and brought it home to try it out.
I cut out my tunic as directed on the pattern and cut the separate pocket pieces using my Washi pattern. Then I stitched the pocket pieces to the sides of the skirt front and back pieces, six inches down from the top, with a scant 5/8 inch seam.

And just to personalize it a bit, I used a bias strip of gingham to face the back neck edge. Because, bias gingham? Come on! Nobody will know it's there but me, but it just feels right.

Finished in a day and I love it! Pockets worked perfectly. Now, Mr Weatherman, about all those 100 degree days in the forecast...... Is it fall yet?



1 comment:

Maria said...

I like that grey fabric you used.. Gingham bias looks cool...
Hope it cools down for you and I would like it a bit warmer....