Friday, June 10, 2016

weaving all the towels

When I got my rigid heddle loom for my birthday, my main objective was to weave kitchen towels. I'm excited to share that my quest to weave the perfect kitchen towel continues to evolve! Each set I weave becomes better and better, and I learn so much in the process.
with my loom warped with Peaches & Cream cotton yarn from Walmart and the weft in Love this Cotton from Hobby Lobby I wove this set....
Funny, I find that I like the inexpensive cotton yarns the best for towels. They weave into nice thick, absorbent towels.

When I get to the end of my warp, I like to experiment with different ideas. I only had a little bit of warp left from this set, and I proceeded to weave fabric selvages to see how I liked it. Pretty cool! I can see doing a whole warp of this for placemats or tote bag fabric in the future.
Ally has requested black & white towels for the apartment she'll be moving into in a couple of months. I decided to warp some stripes of black into the white warp for added interest...
I wasn't sure how I'd like weaving black & white. I'm a color girl after all. But, much to my amazement, they came out very cool!
done in waffle weave which I'm rather fond of!
Again, these are inexpensive peaches & cream yarn. I finished them with a bound hem which gives them a nice finish.

I had quite a bit of warp left from these. Enough to weave a whole extra towel. I pulled out my 8/2 cotton Valley yarn from Webs, a much finer yarn and created this very warp faced towel. It has a wonderful drape but is still thick enough to be absorbent! I'm keeping this one for myself & see many more like it in my future.
I did this in a plain weave and like it a lot
I think that makes 12 towels woven so far, with many many more to come!


5 comments:

Three Owls Handmade said...

Those fabric selvages!!!!!

Maria said...

your kitchen towels are looking fabulous....

Ondrea said...

Oh my! I can't believe that you have made all of them. They really are lovely. So clever!

Kristin said...

Way to go! Those are so cool!

Sally said...

These towels are really just gorgeous! I love seeing what you are making!