Thursday, January 19, 2017

modern mystery block of the month


Hubby and I have been flat out on the couch with the cooties for about 10 days. Neither of us has been sick like this in a long time. boo. The good thing is, we have binge watched The Crown and it gave me plenty of hand sewing time. I was happy to finish up the binding on this quilt so I can share it with you. Today was a nice day for a photo shoot, so we mustered up some energy and headed outside.
my trusty assistant

Last year, one of the gals in the McKinney Modern Quilt Guild designed a modern mystery block of the month. It was a skill builder of sorts, nudging us to try different techniques. I enjoyed making the variety of blocks using gray prints and bright solids from my stash.


I really like the end result! With a few tweaks to the provided layout, mine ended up about 54" X 60".  A nice lap size, or toddler sized quilt. I sent it off to my friend Sandy for quilting. Told her "do something modern" and this is the pattern  she used....
The pattern is called "water dance" & I think it adds the perfect modern touch to my quilt. Guild has allowed us a couple more months to finish up our quilts, so I'll have to wait to see what the other gals have done. I loved all of their blocks throughout the year, and I just know the finished quilts will be outstanding!

This is my first finish in the 2017 Finish-along.


7 comments:

Ondrea said...

Beautiful finish. I do like the greys with the brights. The quilting is lovely and suits the patchwork. WEll done girl!

Sally said...

It's always nice to try out new techniques and still end up with a beautiful usable product in the end! Hope you are feeling back at 100% soon - I had the cooties from Thanksgiving until nearly Christmas.

Debbie said...

Very nice and I agree about the quilting - a nice accent to the quilt.
SO sorry you and hubs have been sick! Get well sooooooon!

Maria said...

Looks fabulous Ellyn and I agree the quilting sets the blocks off beautifully...

Chantal said...

Im so sorry you had the cooties! Love your modern quilt. Very interesting to look at all the different blocks. Yeah, the quilting is perfect for the quilt. Well done.

cspoonquilt said...

Great Mystery! I love your layout so much more interesting than a regular grid!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

That is a really, really cool quilt! Great finish. Thanks for participating in the 2017 FAL on behalf of the global hosts!