Thursday, February 1, 2018

word of the year quilt

Every year I make a quilt for my word of the year. This is my eighth year doing it! Hard to believe. Each word has had a special meaning for me and I love looking back at my past quilts.
This year's word is journey. My original plan was to take a huge airplane trip with my oldest daughter. We have been planning to go on a mission trip to Swaziland together. It will be a great opportunity to meet the children I sponsor and to serve in the communities there. Unfortunately, my recovery from recent surgeries is going to take some time. I need to be 100% for this trip! So we are putting it off until next year.

So, what to do about my word? I had a quilt planned that featured a giant airplane. hmmm. There will still be airplane trips this year (hello Quiltcon! I'm coming for you soon!). I decided, rather than change my word, I would embrace my journey, whatever it turns out to be. I made my airplane a bit smaller and in a color that would blend into the background. Then I added feet! My journey this year definitely involves walking.

Funny how sometimes my words evolve. Some years I know exactly why I've chosen a word. Other years, I have no idea, and I discover the purpose as I go. Then there are years like this one, where the meaning of my word changes and evolves. I'm open to that!

I really need to get these quilts up on a wall! Do you have a word for 2018? I'd love to hear your story

3 comments:

Debbie said...

No word here, but I'm impressed you've done this for so long. Very cool! With any luck, I'll intersect with both your journey and walking! ;-)

Ondrea said...

Love your quilt. To me the word Journey can mean more than travelling somewhere. Life is a journey which takes us in many directions. Your planned trip sounds wonderful and if it is meant to be then it will happen. Meanwhile sit back, buckle up and enjoy life's mystery trip .

Maria said...

Sorry you couldn't go on your big journey this year but I'm sure there will be many smaller plane trips and lots of walking.