Monday, March 5, 2018

all the tote bags

If you've been to Quiltcon before, you already know that you can come home with a huge stack of free tote bags! I had no idea.... live and learn! A few of the ones I ended up with are really great quality. Like the free bag we got with registration, designed by Violet Craft!

As much as I love it, I wish it had interior pockets. I had a brainstorm! Why not make some to insert. So I set to work.....
I made this pocket insert, with three slip pockets (perfect for my phone, etc) and a zipper pocket for cash. I stitched it directly to the top of my bag. Awesome!

I also got one of Cotton & Steel's amazing bags, so I decided to set to work making it even more amazing....

First I added C&S fabric to the straps making them a little fancier!
My buddy (and Quiltcon roomie) Diann had the great idea to add hand stitching.... I added three rows of running stitch around the top of the bag in colors that matched the printing on the front. Oh, and I used 1/4" tiger tape to make it all nice and even. If you don't know about tiger tape, you need to! It's magical. You can get it here.

Again with the pockets..... this time I used all C&S fabrics and I made the slip pockets a bit deeper...

I love the result! Thank you Cotton & Steel for the awesome bag!

4 comments:

Maria said...

Just read your previous posts and see you had a fabulous time at Quilt-con.. You going again next year ?
Great idea to make pockets for the giveaway bags..

Debbie said...

Aren't you clever?! Super functional now!

Connie said...

I love it! You took them to the next level:)

Sally said...

Gorgeous and a wonderful idea! I'm afraid something like this never would have occurred to me and even if it did, I would never have actually gotten it done. Thanks for the inspiration, I'm filing this idea away just in case.